Steps to take to prevent a house fire. A woman died when her Wilmington, Delaware row home went up in flames Wednesday morning, November 26th.
The fire started just before 10 a.m. on the 500 block of Springer Street.
Authorities said 57-year-old Joyce Charles died in the fire.
A man, who works for the property management team, went in Wednesday morning and tried to save Charles, authorities said.
He suffered smoke inhalation during his rescue attempt and remained hospitalized in serious condition. Authorities have not released the cause of the fire.
Let Delaware Realty Management remind you that you can prevent many house fires. Make sure you have working fire alarms in all bedrooms. They will save the lives of your family. Also, there are other steps you can take to prevent a house fire:
Steps to Take to Prevent a House Fire
- Avoid using outlet extenders or plug-in power bars: they can quickly overload an electrical circuit. Replace old, damaged, or frayed appliance cords, and never force a three-pronged plug into a two-slot outlet or extension cord.
- Keep firewood, piles of leaves, and garbage away from the home. Never dump hot ashes inside or near your dwelling; We are talking to you smokers; keep them in a metal container well away from your house and garage.
- Store containers of cooking oil well away from the stove. When cooking with oil, never leave the stove unattended. To stop a grease fire, turn off the burner, place a lid on the pan to suffocate the flames, or pour on lots of baking soda. Never pour water on a grease fire or try to carry the pan outside; water splatters the grease and makes the fire bigger, and the pan will be much too hot to move.
- Avoid using an older space heater, as it may not have adequate safety features than newer units. When purchasing a new space heater, ensure it is UL Listed, and pay attention to the safety features.
- Do not place a space heater near furniture, curtains, or other objects that could easily catch fire.
- Purchase a Carbon Monoxide detector for the bedrooms.
- Never burn cardboard boxes, wrapping paper, trash, or trees in your fireplace—these can all spark chimney fires
If You Are Involved in a Fire
- Know who to call – It is your responsibility to contact your insurance agent. This is a priority. Calling your insurance starts all the paperwork to establish a claim. Call relatives. Call the Red Cross who routinely helps families like yours.
- Establish a home base – Try to get back to a normal routine as quickly as possible. You will need temporary housing, clothing, essential bathroom items, medicines, school clothes for children, etc. Be sure to document everything to be reimbursed by your insurance company. You may even need to ask for a draw on your policy for the basics.
- Get a copy of the fire report – A fire report will discuss where in the house the fire occurred, the time of the incident, the date of the incident, and the incident number if it comes through a fire department.
- Secure the property – the insurance company will require this.
- Keep track of all your expenses and correspondence regarding your loss. A three-ring binder is a handy way to document the process.
- Coordinate with your insurance company the work needed to restore your home from fire, smoke, and water damage.
2700 Kirkwood Highway
Newark, DE 19711
(302) 995-2550 fax
Tenant Screening Made Easy:
Photo: Flight Hub